Subject: Mailing List Status
From: [email-masked] (Daniel J. McCoy)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 17:23:11 PST

As many of you know, I have been looking into gating the Lightwave
newsgroup in with either this mailing list or creating another list just
for newsgroup traffic rather than subjecting everyone to the S/N ratio of
the newsgroup.  Many weeks ago, I sent e-mail to a provider which would
allow me to have multiple mailing lists and newsgroup gating.  With that
information, I signed up with them.  During the past few weeks, I have
been waiting for them to put some tools on-line that help me with message
weeding.  To this date, they still haven't done this.  To top it off,
today I learned something they neglected to mention before I signed up!
They forgot to mention that each mailing list cost $10.50 a month in
service charges plus a set up fee.  Considering three mailing lists would
cost $31 a month plus the disk usage needed for the message archives
of both mailing lists and the newsgroup (currently 3MB more than the
alloted 5MB even on Netcom) on top of the monthly normal charges, I'm
afraid I'll have to look for other options.  The mailing lists will
continue as usual on Netcom as will the message archives (for now).  But
I'll have to rethink what to do about newsgroup gating, digests and the
rest of the things that would have gone with the mailing list move.  As
it is, I'll be paying for two service providers as the other does give me
things Netcom doesn't.  :(

At any rate, we'll continue to go on as usual.  I'm just bummed and
wanted to get these things done.  :(

Dan
-- 
Daniel J. McCoy                         BIX: dmccoy                   //
Internet: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]    \X/
Intel and MicroSoft - Redefining math as we know it today!         Amiga!